It has been a while since my last update and a lot has been happening. I won’t go into too much details, but here are the highlights.
- I attended the ACRL Strategic Planning and Orientation Session (SPOS) in September in Chicago. At this gathering the Board, later joined by the chairs and vice-chairs of the goal-area committees:
- reviewed progress in our strategic goal areas
- reviewed and revised the reporting tool for the goal area committees – ensuring the Board is provided with information to make knowledge-based decisions
- worked on an ACRL branding exercise (a follow up to a discussion from the Leadership Council session at ALA Annual in Anaheim) and
- discussed the results of the 2012 ACRL member survey – to be released before Midwinter 2013
- I continued working on appointments.
- The call for participation text has been finalized and will be made available shortly
- Mary Carr has agreed to serve as chair of the Leadership, Recruitment, and Nominating Committee
- Kenley Neufeld has agreed to serve as chair of the Appointments Committee. All members have been appointed.
- I participated in a conference call of the ACRL Budget and Finance Committee to review the budget assumptions for the FY14 budget. These assumptions will, in part, inform the budget setting process.
- All the ALA Division Presidents-Elect met in Chicago in October for an orientation to ALA and to meet with the ALA Executive Board. Led by ALA President Maureen Sullivan, we all participated in exercises to determine how to help further the ALA Strategic Plan.
- The ACRL Executive Committee also met in October as a part of the aforementioned gathering and, among other things, began working on the ACRL FY14 budget. Other actions taken at the meeting will be shared shortly through the minutes of the meeting. Look for these in the Board’s ALA Connect space.
- The ACRL Presidents (past president Ogburn, president Bell, executive director Davis, and I) continue our weekly virtual meetings to conduct Association business.
We’re all busy planning for the upcoming ALA Midwinter Meeting in Seattle and are making preparations to ensure as effective a meeting as possible.
I’ll have another update soon, and will also provide more information about my presidential initiative.